6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Which micro (or CPU) did you first bond with?
6502 on a single board (KIM-1, OSI, Compukit, AIM-65, ...) 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
6502 or similar in a computer (Pet, VIC20, C64, AppleII, Atari, NES ...) 51%  51%  [ 38 ]
6800 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6809 (Coco, Dragon32, Vectrex...) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8080 or 8085 (S100 or otherwise) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
z80 (TRS-80, Spectrum, MSX, TI calculator...) 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
9900, SC/MP, 1802 or any other unusual micro 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Non-micro CPU 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
68k (QL, Atari, Amiga, ...) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
x86 (IBM PC, ...) 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 74
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:18 pm 

My first experience with programming was with Mr Coffee, BigTrek, Light-Brite and Fidelity Chess Challenger that had a Z80 CPU.

Chess Challenger helped tutor me in relational calculus early on; Chess and SQL both are forms of RC.

Lite-brite helped with designing and understanding multicolor pixel graphics.

BigTrek was a visual programming paradigm like Logo where you could run programs right away after keying them in and run a trace literally and debug in real time.

Mr Coffee was like the DartMouth BASIC experiment on a larger and simpler scale more people could participate in.

Next I used a Teletype and then a 4K TRS-80. Programming concepts were more familiar because of the progression from these programmable machines.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:30 pm 

My first access to a 'computer' was with the EuroCom 1. My dad brought it home from the school where he taught.
It's hard to find any info on that 6802 system these days but it had 7 segment LED display, hex input keyboard and a cassette interface.
I was far too young to be able to afford a real computer and sometimes got a chance to use an Apple ][.
The first computer I bought was an Acorn Atom, actually it was the Prophet2. Had some extra features and great looking orange return key.
My math teacher gave me a huge stack of Acorn Nieuws so I was hooked and learned quickly to mod my Atom.
In a few year the Atom grew to a system with a 65SC816 (fast) 32KB (noise free) video memory, floppy disk and more.
When I went to the Uni I got my hands on an Acorn Archimedes. Practically all my computers after that would be ARM based.

So, filling in the poll was a bit difficult. It said 'bond' and therefore I chose the 6502 but the 6802 was my first experience and it taught me to use a monitor utility to type in the machine code. I would write down my assembly and the machine code before typing the hex characters..

Its been the best experience and never regret learning to code like that.

Edit: found this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kvLvrTxEo0 to a short view of a EuroCom 1. The one in the video looks a bit different but that's okay.

Last edited by janrinze on Sun May 19, 2024 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:41 pm 

There are some resources for the euroCom 1 to be found on the internet archive.
The full scanned manual is a great resource and brings back some fond memories :D