6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: emulator source
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:40 pm 

Hello all I have an exciting project started but I need to incorporate an emulator into the project. I am using MSVC6 for the project so the code needs to be c/c++ for that target.

Any help?

Post subject: Re: emulator source
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:04 am 

Hyper wrote:
Hello all I have an exciting project started but I need to incorporate an emulator into the project. I am using MSVC6 for the project so the code needs to be c/c++ for that target.

What's the exciting project? There's no shortage of C/C++ 6502 emulators...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:23 pm 

I cant give alot of details at this point but it deals with 3d graphics simulations. I want to run the emu as part of my code so I have direct access to the memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:54 am 

Hyper wrote:
I cant give alot of details at this point but it deals with 3d graphics simulations. I want to run the emu as part of my code so I have direct access to the memory.

I wonder what that will be....?

Anyway, it seems you need a highly optimized CPU engine. Probably try to rip the CPU out of one of the popular emulators for the C64, or Apple or Atari. Watch out for GPL (license) issues if you have commercial plans though

André

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:42 pm 

Well, first of all, what CPU are you looking to emulate in the first place? If you're looking to emulate a 65816, I have some software which emulates it. If it's the 6502, then as Andre mentioned, there are tons of them out there. Indeed, as far as I know, I have the only "portable" 65816 emulator on the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:29 pm 

I need a 6502 for now but the 65816 could be a plugin option later on.
I grabbed a couple of emulators one in dos, having problems digging out all the dos stuff tho. Most of the ones I have seen have hooks to windows print, dos print, mouse etc, I just need a stripped down print nothing emulator that I can feed a S19 or hex file to. I would like to do a shared memory thing so my other program can just grab data at addresses etc.

I will post a screen cap of my intentions on my website soon as I can get the artwork done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:31 am 

Hyper wrote:
I need a 6502 for now but the 65816 could be a plugin option later on.
I grabbed a couple of emulators one in dos, having problems digging out all the dos stuff tho. Most of the ones I have seen have hooks to windows print, dos print, mouse etc, .

The VICE emulator has most of the stuff separated out into architecture specific directories, as it is available for WIndows, Unix, Mac OS/X etc. It is a large beast, though. You may be able to separate out the CPU easily, as the core is already reused for C64, PET, etc as well as disk drives.

http://www.viceteam.org/

André

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:50 am 

Ok I wrote an emulator that works and have it integrated into my engine. Proof of concept works so time to let the cat out.
What I did was integrate the emulator into a commercial game engine. You have to write 6502 assembly language to dive a virtual robot around. The first test is working, I have a planetary rover on an alien world roaming around.
The project is just getting started and lots of things will most likely change, visit the site and give me some feedback.

http://www.hyperkat.com/virtualbots.html